A questions from Lauren in MS –
Still in school so I don’t have that much stuff. Mostly, my stuff is at my parent’s house. All my certificates and photos are in plastic tubs. I learned that in Katrina. Worried about original paintings by me. Any suggestions?
– – –
Good job getting your stuff into tubs!! And good job having copies in another location! Very smart strategy.
As for your original art, here are a couple of tips:
1. Get everything photographed highest resolution possible, put on a CD and copies in a couple of different places.
2. Change out the glass of the framing with plexiglas. This can be done cheaply at an Aaron Bro.s type store.
3. A cardboard (or Foamboard) backing applied to the back of paintings on canvas can also be put on at the framers. Very useful protection.
4. Have everything varnish with an easy to remove varnish in case cleaning is required. Acrylics need to be varnished differently than oils.
5. There are other things that are more complicated. Do you need to hear about the next level of precautions that can be taken?