I was asked to consult on a renovation project of a historical building. The reason I was brought in was because there were difficult problems with murals. While this may seem not so relative to your situation… read on.
First of all, here’s what happened (that could happen to your home or office): The roof leaked and water infiltrated into the structure, into the walls. The roof leak wasn’t dealt with quick enough or completely enough cause someone was trying to save money and not be inconvenienced.
In the meantime, mold loves humid conditions and it grew and grew and grew until, in order to get the mold out and get rid of the smell, the building had to practically have all its wall board ripped out and the walls rebuilt from the inside out. Disinfestations and sanitizing were a daily, repeating process.
In the case of this project, they thought they had the mold all under control and taken care of. Then they called me in to double check some work that had been done on wall painting (mural) conservation/restoration issues. In the photo you can see what I found when I peeled the mural off the wall. The mold practically growled at me from under the canvas!!!!!
We immediately began the process of removing the murals for clean up. In the process, I only wore my mask for 1/2 the time… and paid the price. My allergies flared up for the next two weeks.
All emergency preparedness kits and packs should include cheap particle/dust masks and also masks with carbon filters sealed in zip lock bags.